Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Grandparents

Me Grandma Hutchins, we lost her in 1979. I believe it was June 18. It was something like that anyways.
I took the call from me Pops. He told me she had passed away. I remember my life was different after that. I remember feeling weird, lost, after that call. It was a bit after mid-day.
Apparently he had called his folks, me Grandpa Joe and me Grams, either right afore or after he had called home, where I and me older brother and just younger sister stayed while everyone else had went down south to North Carolina that year. It still seems surreal.
I had little reaction. I told me sibs. Then I went to the Shop, where me Grandpa Joe waited, alone for whatever reason, pulling on a cigarette, a Carlton, as he sat by the coffee table. I went back to work, just like that, like normal.
Seeing as Joe had a coffee, I made me one. And we sat.
Joe pulled again on the cigarette. "I'm sorry about your grandmother," he said, unusually quietly, after a minute.
"Thanks," I said. I sipped at my coffee.
After a bit I said, "Well, not many get to have four grandparents until they're 19. I guess I'm lucky."
"Yeah," Joe said. He pulled again at his Carlton.
And we sat there. We just sat.
Memories.








No comments: