Thursday, March 22, 2018

He didn't really mean anything but...

He didn't mean anything by it. I could tell by the sound of his voice and the vaguely horrified look on his face. He meant well; his intention was to be helpful and considerate. He meant well. But still...
I met a customer in Toledo yesterday, to deliver a couple barrels of cable and a set of smaller cables. I grabbed both baskets of small cables and set them in the back of his truck. Then I went back to get one of the large barrels with the large cables. As I reached for them the young man, I'm guessing he is indeed about 30 years younger than I am, raced over and cut in front of me. "Let me get those, sir! I'm a lot younger than you!" he explained hurriedly.
I beg your pardon?
As I say, I know he meant well. And as too many people these days aren't considerate enough, I don't want to disparage an honest and real concern. But it was an unusual way to express it.
I had to be careful not to let the old geezer in me respond. "Now, lookee here, young feller, I been liftin' heavy loads out o'the back of trucks well nigh on 40 year. I know somethin' 'bout liftin' heavy things without hurtin' meself!" But I held geezer in check. I stammered something like, "Uh, okay, thanks."
It's funnier now than at 6 o'clock last night. Yet there is that part of me that's still a bit insulted.



No comments: