Sunday, November 18, 2018

The small frail voice

We chanted the Our Father at Mass yesterday. Normally we just say it en masse, but yesterday we chanted it.

I stood next to Mom as I do, since I take her to Church most Saturdays. All I could hear was her small, frail voice as she chanted. It was as though memory and habit had kicked in as she dutifully half sung the prayer. Her voice was a bit raspy. Yet it was one of the most poignant, quietly beautiful things I've heard.

I'm trying desperately not to become maudlin here. That would undermine anything I want to say. It might destroy whatever point I'm trying to make. But that small, frail voice.

I couldn't continue the chant myself once I actually heard Mom. That voice, little but lithe and lovely, overpowered me. I had to stop; I was too choked up, and it wouldn't do to upset her if she saw me upset. So I just listened, and, I think, appreciated the moment.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Prayers for your mother.

Paul

P.S. The Zeke comment was mine -- I didn't notice that using preview had erased my name.