Friday, January 11, 2019

Me Pops and me Uncle Junior

I really don't know what his actual name is until yet. But we called him Uncle Junior so that's how I know him. Him and me Pops got along quite well. To be sure, me Pops got along fine with everyone in the family. It's just that this morning I found myself thinking about him and Uncle Junior. To my other Uncles, beware. Your time will come.

Pops and Uncle Junior joked around a lot. One time Uncle Junior swore he'd never again go out to dinner with me Pops. He was embarrassed, he said, because Pops ordered a ton of food. Indeed, too much food. "I never saw a waitress bring out a plate with side boards before," he quipped.

Me Pops once owed me Uncle some money. Before a trip to North Carolina, Dad dutifully got together what he owed Uncle Junior. When he saw him a couple days later, Pops gave him the cash. Me Uncle just stuck it right in his pocket. "Aren't you gonna count it?" Dad asked.

"What for? You done counted it a dozen times," Uncle Junior replied. I'll take that a sign he trusted the old man.

As more comes to mind, I'll let y'all hear more.

No comments: