Monday, April 1, 2019

The almost robbery

Father Thomas Smith was one of the Dominican priests I mentioned last week whom I remember and admire. As mentioned he's the one who shagged flies with my family one fine summer Sunday, keys jangling as he frantically chased baseballs with me bother and me Pops and me. And as with the Fr. Murray I spoke of the other day, Fr. Smith once dealt with, well, really only a threatened robbery.

Five or six blocks away from St. Dominic, where Fr. Smith was pastor in the Seventies, was St. Leo, at that time headed by Fr. John Morrell. Sadly one night, and thankfully he was not seriously hurt, two men broke into the St. Leo Rectory on him and took what cash he had and a few other items. He called Fr. Smith about the incident right after it occurred.

In hearing the tale, Fr. Smith was properly sympathetic and asked what he might do to help. "Double bolt your doors," Fr. Morrell replied.

"Why?" Father Smith asked incredulously.

Fr. Morrell continued, "Because they demanded to know where the next nearest Church was, and I panicked and told them St. Dominic."

Thanks a lot, thought Fr. Smith. But fortunately nothing came of it.

No comments: