Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Over and done with

There. I'm done. I cast my ballot, the Number Four voter in my precinct. It is finished, that nearly yearly task we perform most Novembers. I don't think anything will be on the Detroit ballot in 2021, so I might get a break.

Anyway, what it means for all practical purposes is that I go to work. I have motors to install on two machines and quite frankly, the money I'll make on those chores is more critical to me than my vote. There's a pickup to made in Ferndale, which I'll send my brother on so that he can take Mom for a ride. That too is more critical to me than my vote.

As I said yesterday, it's not that I don't care about the outcome. Yet in the direct and immediate sense business, both personal and, well, actual business, are more important. I said a Rosary this morning for my candidates as well as for peace and quiet no matter how things turn out. Not that I'm God's gift nor believe my prayers any kind of linchpin to hold our country together. But I think the prayers better for the U S of A than any single vote.

I'm not saying I will or will not watch election returns yet those are hours away no matter what. I'm telling myself that I won't: might as well take a melatonin after work and get some sleep. There's no point fretting over the results; they will be what they will be and I will find them out when I find them out. And then I will, as I also said yesterday, get up tomorrow and go about my life. It's the best, the right, thing to do.




No comments: