Monday, February 14, 2022

Grandpa Joe's Money Advice

I've Said before that me Grandpa Joe, for whatever faults he had, did have some good ideas. One was when he told me Pops, as Pops had then just paid off his mortgage, that he he ought to put the amount he had been paying on his mortgage away every month afterwards. He had already been budgeting it, so without the monthly bill he should use it to create savings. "I always regretted that I didn't take his advice," me Pops lamented more than once.

I'm trying in my own little way to take Joe's advice to heart. I cancelled my second phone line about a year and a half ago, but the next month after began putting the 'cell phone' money back. It was, just like Joe reflected, a thing I was in the habit of doing it anyway. It was only a matter of, so to speak, paying myself instead of the phone people.

I have a little money in the sock now that is steadily accumulating. If I can stay disciplined about it, it'll be a tidy sum in the next few years.

Grandpa did have his moments, to be sure.

No comments: