Friday, April 19, 2019

On food

For the Catholics of the world this is a fast day, being Good Friday. So I figure, why not tempt everyone of you out there (you know who you are) and talk about food?

Left to its own druthers, my personal menu is simple. My diet consists of quick and easy eats. I could eat pepperoni pizza and hot dogs all day long. In fact, I have.

Burgers and tube steaks beyond hot dogs, brats and Italian sausages and the like, are high on my list. Straight up friend chicken is tough to beat; while on the road lately I have renewed my friendship with Colonel Sanders. And what, I ask you, can beat a good plate of steak and potatoes?

As I think about it, the only area where I like variety is with pop. Being a lifelong and proud Detroiter, I find the many Faygo flavorings delightful (except fruit punch, which they apparently don't make anymore, and good riddance too). Vanilla ginger ale is great, when you can find it, although with regular ginger ale I prefer Canada Dry. Yes, my Detroit roots make me feel as though I'm two-timing Vernor's. But it ain't like I don't like it. I just like Canada Dry ginger ale better. And Schweppe's. But after that, it's all you, Vernor's.

Oh, and finally, I love fried fish perhaps best of all, and that makes today bearable for me. I will break my fast this afternoon with a fish dinner from St. Francis Cabrini here in the D. So all that other stuff simply isn't particularly tempting to me this day. If it is to you, my work here is done.

No comments: