Saturday, March 30, 2024

Early Baseball

This afternoon the Detroit Tigers will play their second baseball game of the 2024 season. While I love the game and look forward to it every year, March 30 does feel early for the sport.

It used to start later. When they had regular doubleheaders the extra dates weren't needed. Skimming through an old 1971 Tigers yearbook I noticed 18 scheduled twin bills, two games on one ticket. Now they only play them when rain outs force it. 

Doubleheaders were what I lived for as a younger fan. The instant the new schedule appeared I filled out my social calendar with whenever two games would be played at old Tiger Stadium. It was my summer guide; all else was plotted around those twin bills.

Hopefully rain will help me see one sometime this year. It did in 2022; I took a half day off when Detroit played two against Oakland. They actually played three last year, but I was just too busy with work to take advantage of the situation. I almost filed a grievance against my boss though.

Oh well. Play ball! It's the whole point of summer.

No comments: