Tuesday, March 12, 2024

On The Bayou

Jambalaya. I hadn't had it in ages. Truth is, I only had it once, probably twenty years ago. It was at an event at the Detroit Historical Museum. Why they were hosting an event featuring Cajun foods (or why I was even there) is lost within the misty halls of my memory.

Anyway, they had jambalaya and it was good. A tad on the spicy side, but that's fine. But the bottom line truth is that I hadn't thought a lot about it until yesterday.

It was close to Noon, and all I wanted was something different for lunch. For no better reason that to seek that something, I found myself trolling the aisles of the local supermarket. In the freezer section I stumbled onto single serve microwavable bowls of jambalaya. So I bought one. Why not? If I didn't care for it I was only out $3.79, much less than a fast food lunch these days.

Wow. I'm happy I did. It was rice and okra with pork and smoked sausage and a couple of other vegetables all mixed into a light sauce and boy, was that good. I do believe jambalaya is back on my radar. Of course that old Hank Williams song is now my earworm, but I can live with that. It's a good song. 




No comments: