Sunday, July 14, 2024

Ballpark Absurdity

My Detroit Tigers beat the Los Angeles Dodgers yesterday, 11 - 9. Hooray. They're playing well lately and I hope it continues. 

What I hope does not continue is the overuse of pitchers. The teams combined employed 13 arms yesterday in a 10 inning game. It's made worse when you consider that each side's starter went five innings. That means it took 11 guys to pitch the other 5 frames.

That's stupid. Surely 8 hitters weren't injured? No; the numbers just say all those arms were needed. And now, for today's game, I bet each manager will lament that their respective bullpens are tired because of it.

I'm at the point that I'm willing to, by rule, limit the number of pitchers used every game. Four per nine innings out to be enough. Even that's at least one, and maybe two, too many. But it might limit the insanity.

Oh well. At least the right guys won.

No comments: