Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Now Immediately This Minute

Publishers Clearing House, the old prize contest, has contacted me by email about my potential entry into the current version. They began the letter, "Your decision is immediately requested!", on whether I want to enter this year's contest or not.

Immediately requested, eh? I'm not sure that they haven't requested my answer immediately by having already made the offer. I mean, isn't asking me to respond immediate by its nature? If I ask, say, whether you want to go to a ball game with me which starts in an hour so we need to go, there's kind of an immediacy inherent in that request, isn't there?

Yet that's not half of it. I'm being encouraged to enter the sweepstakes right away, to 'accept or surrender' a bid for $10 million dollars. Accept or surrender are in bold block letters. I'm not at all sure that choosing to simply not participate in a drawing amounts to some kind of surrender. Maybe I just don't want to play. I don't feel like I'm surrendering anything worthwhile.

I entered. But under duress. 

No comments: