Friday, July 26, 2024

Mad Scientist Marty

A couple of plumbers came into the old barn yesterday to pick up a repair one of them had left. I knew that guy of course, but I hadn't met the second fella. The one picking up the repair turned to his buddy and said about me, "This is the man you want to bring your machines to fix. He's the mad scientist of drain snakes!"

I think it was a compliment. I replied simply, "You got the mad part right anyway."

Yet the thought of the mad scientist of drain snakes conjures (a mad scientist ought to conjure, right?) up old B movie cliches. A machine is secured to my workbench. One last wire is carefully and lovingly attached. A thunderstorm is rolling in, lightning flashes jumping outside the Shop windows. "Power! I must have power!" I scream maniacally.

"Yes, Master!" a heretofore unseen hunchback cries from a darkened corner of the old barn. He begins turning a crank, lifting mad scientist Marty and his drain snake monster, a macabre and pathetic bit of metal cobbled together from parts of various and long dead old units, into a heretofore unseen opening in the Shop roof...and I've taken this about far enough, haven't I?

Still, the Mad Scientist of drain snakes. I kinda like it.



 

No comments: