Friday, July 19, 2024

Farewell Bob

Bob Newhart, perhaps my favorite individual comedian (as opposed to comedy groups) passed away yesterday at 94. As me son Charlie remarked, some people just seem to always be around, so much so that you're shocked when they leave even though you know intellectually that, like us all, they'll be gone some day. 

Newhart was that guy for me. From the early 1960s with The Grace L Ferguson Airline and Storm Door Company (which is eerily interesting lately) to a Chicago psychologist to a Vermont inn owner, his understated humor and fish out of water demeanor always struck a chord with me. I even have a soft spot for George and Leo, a late Nineties sitcom (with him, Judd Hirsch and Jason Bateman) which had promise but I don't think was given a fair chance. Bateman, as Newhart's son, could play his TV dad's stammer quite well.

The Bob Newhart Show or Newhart for his best series? I lean towards the latter, yet both were excellent. Part of his comic timing and personal humility was playing off his co-stars, letting them have the spotlight when it suited the episode. 

As a lifelong rooter of the Chicago Cubs (Newhart was born in Chicago) I'm happy that he was able to see his team win a World Series even though it knocked the charm off of being a Cubs fan.

I only saw him as Professor Proton on The Big Bang Theory once, but I'm glad he got an Emmy for his portrayal of Sheldon's science hero. He deserved more.

Farewell and, um, er, ah, Godspeed Bob. God Bless You.

No comments: