Monday, August 6, 2018

I hate open primaries (but I'll take advantage of them)

Tomorrow is a primary election day here in Michigan. And I'm going to vote in the Democratic primary.

I assure you I have not lost my head. I am only doing what open primaries allow: I am voting in the opposite election expressly to vote for candidates I believe the Republicans are most likely to beat in November (and against Rashida Tlaib, who really irritates me with her smugness). November doesn't matter to me because I will almost certainly vote for whomever the GOP winners are tomorrow.

Many folks won't like me doing that. I don't care. Those are the same liberal folks who brought us things such as open primaries. Let them reap what they sow.

To make my point bluntly, while in democratic elections you have the right to freely choose the candidates you like, that only applies in general elections. You do not have the right to tell the parties whom to select. Political parties are essentially private organizations. As such, they have the right to monitor their membership and pick the people who best represent their interests. Do you actually believe Donald Trump would have been chosen by the Republican Party if the selection of its candidates had been closed? No. Way. But again, I blame the left for that. They're who pushed for open primaries and were awarded with President Trump. They can stew in their own juice.

So I will vote in the Democratic primary tomorrow. I encourage my conservative friends to do the same, if circumstances allow.

No comments: