Tuesday, August 14, 2018

The bug has bit me, the disease takes hold

Last night I didn't shoot my age, or older. I shot a 51, my best score ever for nine holes (and in fact beating my age by a few years thank you very much). I'm beginning to believe that I might actually rise to mediocrity at golf.

I had sixes, mere bogeys, on both par fives. I had fives, mere bogeys again, on three of the par fours. On one of those par fours I had a no putt, another first for me. I was about a foot and a half on the fringe of the green and holed out. Granted, I used my putter and hit the ball firm. But as I understand that's technically a no putt as I wasn't actually on the green, so it counts.

I had a five, five, and six respectively on the par threes. Ironically then my worst holes were the three where I double parred and the other two par threes (the shortest holes). Yet on the whole, when I hit a poor shot, each time after I thought okay, just make the next one. I shot out of heavy rough to within twelve feet of the cup on the ninth hole and knew I would do it. I've felt that kind of confidence curling and playing baseball but never while golfing. I have never felt so comfortable on a golf course.

Now here's where the latent golfer in me comes out. As pleased as I am with yesterday's play, I can't shake the bit of disappointment that I did not break fifty. My three three putts cost me that. But while I'm not really mad at myself about it, I am reminded that there's still tons of room for improvement.

I'm looking forward to next Monday more than I ever thought I'd look forward to golf, and I've looked forward to it a lot in recent years. This golf disease is definitely getting a hold on me.

1 comment:

Paul said...

Stick to the issues! :D