Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Roastin' ears

I don't believe that I've spoken much about me Grandmaw Hutchins. Let's rectify that situation, if you don't mind.

She confused my brother Patrick one day without meaning to. She instructed him to go out to the fields with his grandfather, obviously me Grandpaw Hutchins, and pick some roastin' ears for supper. "Roastin' ears?" a confused Patrick asked. "Yes, roastin' ears," she impatiently replied. Then realizing his confusion she added, "Corn."

"Oh yeah, corn," Patrick responded. He went away repeating questioningly under his breath, "Roastin' ears?"

Grandmaw burst out laughing. "He didn't know what roastin' ears was!" she exclaimed delightedly.

I laughed with her, not wanting to admit that a city boy like me didn't know either. But man, that event sure tickled her.

I had more to say about her, but I might just leave that for tomorrow.

No comments: