Thursday, January 19, 2023

Pistachios

Pistachios have become quite a favorite snack of mine. I first tried them several years ago while staying with my son and daughter in law for a few days. I liked them so much that I was a bad guest, eating so many of theirs that one day during the visit I slipped out to the store and replaced theirs with a fresh bag. Then in remarking how much I liked them, my daughter in law insisted I take the replacement bag home with me. So I did. Ain't I a stinker?

Lately my doctor has recommended them as a source of dietary fiber, which he suggested in that way only doctors can, the heavy undercurrent being well if you don't want to die a horrible, avoidable death then do as I say. In this case he did not have to sell the idea quite so hard.

You can buy pistachios shelled or unshelled, just like peanuts. Lazy Marty likes them shelled, because he can take a handful and pop then in his mouth all at once. Frugal, vaguely (only vaguely) health conscious Marty likes them shelled. They're cheaper, and they make me eat one at a time. Indeed I enjoy the taste more that way. And I eat fewer because one does tire of dealing with the shells.

I've had pistachio custard (very good) and keep a keen eye out for spumoni ice cream. Spumoni is a variation on Neapolitan but with chocolate, cherry and pistachio rather than chocolate, vanilla, and the strawberry which no one eats. 

Pistachios. Recommended by the Marty Council on good eats.


No comments: