Saturday, August 13, 2022

No Sentiment There

I surely am sentimental. There are more than enough times when I think of my kids growing up, and become wistful. Then there are the times I walk into Wal-Mart in August and the sentiment ebbs, a least momentarily.

Last week I found myself heading into a Wal-Mart for a few things, to be inundated with back to school sales the instant I was in the door. Rows and rows of notebooks, pencils, lunchboxes, backpacks, crayons, erasers, and countless other ephemera which the school people deem of critical importance to education stared towards me.

They beckoned pointlessly, no siren calling this old boy. Those August days I do not miss one iota. I have absolutely no sentimentality for back to school sales. The thought of dashing off to battle the other parents at Meijer because college ruled notebooks are available for ten cents each, but only until Midnight, holds no pining for the old days from yours truly. 

I shook my head sadly, and with true compassion, at the young mothers and fathers dealing with it that day. I grabbed the few things I needed right quick and nearly danced through the checkout line, happily leaving backpack choices to picky 8 year olds and exasperated parents. Maybe I ought to feel more sorry for them. I could tell by the occasional glance that I was envied. I didn't mind one bit.

No comments: