Sunday, December 29, 2019

That wasn't a catch?

All right, it's been awhile since I've allowed myself an anti-football rant. So brace yourself, I have one today.

While I did not watch any games live yesterday (I rarely do anymore, yet that goes for most any sport beyond baseball and golf) I could not help but hear of the non-fumble which went against Ohio State on review during the Fiesta Bowl. So I pulled it up on the computer and, you know what?

That was a catch. How can you play a game, how can you have a sport, how can you claim any integrity for your championships, when you don't know yourself the basic objects of your game?

The guy caught the ball. He had it stripped and the Buckeyes should have had a touchdown. Period. End of report. And please spare me about how it doesn't really matter because OSU missed other opportunities.  A glaring, I don't know that you can call it a mistake when something's so egregious, injustice such as that simply begs all other questions. Yes, they missed other chances. But those do not matter when an appalling lack of judgment and fair play is at hand. Yet even with instant replay and official reviews, these idiocies seem to happen in football far more often than other sports. This isn't the first time this year alone in the NFL or NCAA where stupidity reigned.

And if you think it's all okay because it was OSU who had it stuck to them, you're part of the problem with American football and the rabid, unchecked, relentless egotism the game allows, even encourages. Football needs to take an honest look at itself.

Rant over. Have a pleasant Sunday waiting for the NFL to make its stupid calls.

Rant really over now.


No comments: