Saturday, February 1, 2020

Why I don't like politics

This is intended to be about why I don't like politics. That may sound odd coming from a guy who's been rather openly political here and on Facebook and social media lately. But I don't like politics. Every time I find myself being drawn into them I end up mad and hating the experience. And not being very fond of me over it either.

Now what I am about to say I believe applies to both sides, even though I will use recent events as examples. So I will begin by admitting that yes, the Republicans do it too. I get that. Indeed, it's part of why I don't like politics. I find each side likes to put a little too much spin on events and issues.

I hate politics because of the hyper-partisanship inherent in it. The whole impeachment imbroglio and Kavanaugh debacle before it offer perfect illustrations. To the super partisans, every issue is cut and dry, yet most are twisted to the point of insanity. The evidence against Justice Kavanaugh was so obviously contrived as to be unreliable. It was well within the bounds of reasonable doubt. The charges against President Trump so inane (a politician with an eye to his political future: horrors!) that it amazes me so many folks take it so seriously. There's an election coming up, people. Lighten up and do your civic duty if you feel that strongly, but could you save me and everyone else the evil clown carnival atmosphere? Could you please not paint a picture of ultimate doom?

Then there's the attitude that the other side are stupid, deplorable rubes. Disagree with me about Trump and Kavanaugh if you like. I don't care. That's your option. But when start insulting me about it, when your condescension drips like molasses in January, why would expect to convert me? I'm a college educated city dweller I'll have you know, the paragon of your idea of virtue. Or did I take the wrong classes?

You get my point? If you're trying to push me into becoming evil you're doing a fine job of it. That's where I get not so fond of myself. Because if you want a monster, you get a monster. I am not a monster. I resent, quite rightly and emphatically I will assert, being labeled one. And it does not help you or me.

Again, both sides do it. I understand that all too well thank you very much. That may just be the main reason I don't like politics.


No comments: