Sunday, July 12, 2020

All those fields

I'm currently reading Ballparks: Yesterday and Today. It offers interesting and quick histories (along with a few pictures) of, you guessed it, ballparks, baseball stadiums. It's led me to think that if I had a bucket list but it could be experienced over and through time, I would visit all those old parks.

Needless to say I would go back to Detroit's old Tiger Stadium often. But what modern baseball fan wouldn't want to see Ebbets Field in Brooklyn or Forbes Field in Pittsburgh? Crosley Field in Cincinnati or Braves Field in Boston (there were a lot of fields in the day weren't there)? Many are gone in the mists of time, though a section of Braves Field still exists as, ugh, a football stadium.

To be sure, there are things in the modern world I would like to see despite what I might say. But I lack the burning desire to see them which I have where baseball stadiums are concerned. There is something off about your bucket list being in the past, isn't it?

But the description of Ebbets Field really was enticing.

No comments: