Friday, July 31, 2020

Kraft Dinner

There now: how many of the eyes and ears of my Canadian friends perked up at the mention of Kraft Dinner? Here in the States it's thought of simply as mac and cheese. Either way, it's sort of a staple, isn't it? My family ate a lot of it over the years.

I was on the road a long time yesterday, covering just over 700 miles between 2 AM and 5:30 PM. One of the nice things about being out and about often is that you can get whatever you want for your meals. Yet that has a down side. When you can routinely have whatever you want, the choices actually begin to lack. Arby's, Wendy's, or KFC (which we all still call Kentucky Fried Chicken despite it's attempted healthier sounding rebranding to KFC, as though we wouldn't still think of it as fried chicken) have all been had, and frequently. McDonald's, although I still eat too much of it, stopped being a real treat ages ago. To wax a tad philosophic, when you actually can get whatever you want the choices kind of dull, don't they? When you can get whatever anytime, freedom to choose loses luster.

So I was yesterday faced with that loss of luster. After having a couple frankfurters off the roller grill at a Love's truck stop at about four in the morning - hot dogs aren't just for breakfast anymore -  I went the rest of the day, starting around mid morning, wanting more to eat. But nothing appealed to me despite the plethora of options.

When I walked back in my front door in the late afternoon I was still hungry. I had not eaten anything after those red hots and had nearly abandoned hope of pleasing my picky stomach. Yet looking through the pantry I spied a couple boxes of Kraft Dinner. I honestly think it's been years since I enjoyed good old, plain old mac and cheese. I grabbed a box and fixed it up.

Tried and true Kraft Dinner hit the spot for me. You can't beat the classics.

No comments: