Friday, July 3, 2020

Friday Holiday Law

I've crabbed about the Monday Holiday Law but it hadn't really occurred to me that there was a corollary Friday Holiday Law. Well, maybe it's not a law but custom (I could look up the details as I'm at my computer but I don't feel like it) but apparently the immovable holidays which fall on Saturday are celebrated on Friday. Hence, July 3 is Independence Day this year. Kind of.

Actual Independence Day is in truth July 2. It was on that date in 1776 that the motion on independence was approved by the Second Continental Congress. The wording of the Declaration of Independence was accepted on July 4, so that that day has usurped the Second as the Anniversary of American Independence. Rightly so, I would argue.

The weird things are, you know how after a Monday holiday, Tuesday feels like Monday and so on? How it messes with your perception of time and the days of the week? Well, yesterday felt a lot like a Friday to me, knowing today is technically a holiday. Reverse psychology perhaps?

Further (I said weird things are so I have to come up with at least a second weird thing or my grammar will be incorrect), all this stuff leaves me unsure of how I'm supposed to feel tomorrow on actual Independence Day. Then there's that bit of ambivalence I'm left with over the fact that July 2 is in fact the date we split from England. Throw into that mix that July 3 is the celebrated holiday this year, what's a fella to think?

I think I'll have three holidays in a row whether I like it or not. It's a tough life.




No comments: