Sunday, July 19, 2020

The descent into crime

This is the last time I blog as a free man for I don't know how long. The descent into criminality is sometimes long and slow. You don't always realize that it's happened to you, it's so gradual. I never thought it would happen to me. Yet so it has. The evidence is spread out before me, obvious and damning.

I never expected it, never saw it coming. Now, how much jail time awaits? How will I handle it? I'll have to learn to play the harmonica I suppose.

But there's no hiding and no denying the crime. I have no choice but to admit it and face fate. The case against me is laid out drying on the kitchen table, all nine dollars. A five and four singles if you must know. I can't laugh it away. I'll have to turn myself in and pray that judge and jury are lenient.

While washing clothes yesterday it seems I stupidly left my wallet in a pair of pants. Now my offense against society stares at me. It mocks me derisively.

Money laundering. How many of my twilight years is this gonna cost me?

No comments: