Friday, December 24, 2021

Christmas Bonus

For really too many years as we've replaced burned out motors on drain snakes, we've simply thrown the old ones in a pile at one end of the Shop. There was an accumulation of easily 95 or 100 old electric motors as we replaced, I would hazard to guess, 4 to 6 a year. We didn't actually count them though.

The motors are heavy, having a lot of copper in them as well as what I think are steel armatures. Still, they have been in the way for a long time, the pile having built up to about three foot high. We've been saying we need to get rid of them. Yesterday, we did.

We piled them in my new old van as I had long taken the seats out to have room for equipment. I was hoping for maybe a nickel a pound, and to get perhaps a hundred bucks if we were lucky.

We were beyond lucky.

The scrap yard allowed us a quarter a pound and there was just over 2,000 pounds. Me brother Phil and I walked out with $545 (and sixty cents). $272.80 apiece made a nice little Christmas bonus for merely turning in scrap, wouldn't you say?

No comments: