Sunday, December 19, 2021

Old Style Christmas Candy

Time, it changes a man. It surely does.

When I was a boy, you knew it was nearing Christmas when me Grandma Cosgriff brought out the Christmas candy. For the holidays, there would always be a bowl of these odd hard candies on the dining room table. There was ribbon candy, and these odd little triangular things in striped colors, and little round, rock hard buttons with color on the edges and images on the faces, flowers or fruit or pictures of Santa even. Some even had what was soft, apparently fruit fillings.

I never cared for those candies. They weren't terrible, and certainly not inedible. Yet they didn't exactly entice you like candy should. You would roll them around in your mouth and suck on them until they, well, I won't say melted away. They more like wasted away. The tastes weren't anything outstanding at all. I might, might pop one into my mouth the entire Christmas season. I never wanted a second.

Yesterday I found myself in a store searching for anything but that candy. Indeed, I hadn't thought of it in ages. Nonetheless, as my eyes roved over a shelf of holiday delights, I discovered bags of Old Fashion Mix Classic Christmas Candy. They were just like what me Grandma Cosgriff set out on Christmas. And I said, out loud in excitement despite being alone in an almost empty store, "Hey! It's Grandma's Christmas Candy!"

And I bought a package of that candy which I never particularly liked.

It's stupid as hell, but I've almost got tears in my eyes from finding bland old fashion Christmas candy from Christmases long past. I guess sentiment trumps taste somehow.

No comments: