Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Analyzing Saturday's Water Issue

Yesterday, you may recall, I lamented the accidental, temporary shut off of my water last Saturday. If you don't recall, you may catch up here: No Water Anywhere

I honestly don't see how the water department employees who shut off my water rather than my neighbor's could have committed such an error. It shouldn't take a brain surgeon to determine which shutoff was mine and which was for next door. Here's why: the shutoff valves for our houses are right next to each other, about a foot and a half apart just above the curb of the street. If you're looking straight at the fronts of our homes, mine is on the right while my neighbor's is to the left. Who would not think that the shutoff on the left went to his house while the one on the right went to mine?

That's a rational conclusion, isn't it? Wouldn't common sense tell you as much? The only other option would be for the lines to cross one another, and that seems clearly outlandish. Anyone without any training in water flow technology at all, I have to think, could figure it out easily. Yet the guys from the water department, with their maps and charts and all the tools of determining how water supply lines are routed believed that the shutoff on the right went to the house on the left, and vice versa.

I should have let them find out the hard way, by going into my neighbor's basement and having high pressure water knock them onto their keisters when they disconnected his water meter. It would have made a great funniest home video reel. But the neighbor needed his meter replaced and I needed my water, so it all worked out for the best. 

Just the same, I do wonder if perhaps some people ought to be made to learn from their mistakes the hard way. Especially when the answer appears obvious.

No comments: