Monday, June 13, 2022

You Can Still Joke

Sunday, as many of you know, is my day with Mom. She loves to take rides, so we ride around, typically doing a bit of shopping as we go and always, always getting lunch. It's fun.

Mom insists that I take gas money and lunch money out of her funds. I never do, of course; none of us kids of Mrs. Cosgriff's would do such a thing when we entertain her. Yet she wants to do her part and be helpful too. She doesn't want to feel like she's draining our resources or being any kind of a burden. Moms, right? So a mantra of hers is to tell me to get money from me brother Phil, who oversees her finances. I assure her I do just that, because I don't want to offend her generosity or hurt her feelings.

Yet that doesn't mean I can't joke about it with Phil. Yesterday after I brought her home I told him, "Mom said to get our lunch money from you."

"Hmm," he grunted.

"You know, it cost $86.12 at Burger King today."

After taking a long sip on his cup of coffee Phil replied calmly, "You know, I don't believe you."

I should tell Mom on him.

No comments: