Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Christmas in June?

Today finds me back at the grindstone in Detroit after five days up north. Reality demands what it demands, and being slightly more disciplined than may be generally believed, back to work came I.

Immediately next to our place in Hessel in da U.P. is a pretty little Presbyterian church. I don't know for certain how long it's been there. But I've seen it in a picture dated 1905 at the local historical museum, so it's been around a minute.

For as long as I can remember - which is the forty plus years that I've been going to Hessel - they've played canned music from speakers in the stout tower of the Church. It's never failed to bring fond and poignant memories back to me whenever the music sounds. While I can't always make out the tunes, I generally can, most of them being common hymns and instrumental sounds of praise. Still, I had to listen closely to a song this past Sunday in figuring it out.

Initially I thought that I must be wrong. That cannot be the tune they're playing. Yet listening more closely, paying strict attention to the notes as they came, I grew certain of the hymn. On a warm and pleasant June Sunday as I hungrily waited for Italian Sausages to be finished on the grill, there was no doubt that I was hearing O Come All Ye Faithful.

It was all well and good, and interesting enough in its incongruity. I realize too that Christmas in July has become quite a thing. Still, Christmas in June was new to me. And I suppose I could easily become adjusted to Christmas in Hessel in June if I so desired.


No comments: