Friday, June 24, 2022

Whither Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania, you're beautiful. You really are. I mean that. You have some very pretty farming valleys and many impressive mountain views. There are escarpments aplenty, where the road clings tightly around a mountainside to steadily open upon a sublime small town scene straight from Norman Rockwell. Yours is truly a magnificent state. I only have one issue. It takes so doggone long to drive through you.

As me son Charlie and I were returning to his home Monday after a weekend in Boston, we entered Pennsylvania right about 11:30 in the morning. We had cleared three states by then, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York, in a tad over four hours. Yet we did not clear the Keystone State until 6 that evening. The last three hours of our journey were particularly grating; it was beginning to feel that we would never find our way out.

I'm a Michigan man through and through: let there be no doubt about that. Yet I was never more happy to see Ohio in my life than I was when we finally escaped Pennsylvania last Monday. 

Again, I mean what I say, Pennsylvania. You're gorgeous. But there can be too much of a good thing, you know.

No comments: