Friday, March 8, 2019

Fish Frydays

I like this time of year, and for rather selfish reasons. I know that it's Lent; it's supposed to be a time of renewal. But what I like seeing the most renewed are the Friday Fish Frys in so many Churches.

Catholics cannot eat meat on Fridays during Lent. That's one of the reasons fish frys are so popular. Part of me wishes the Church would go old school and ban meat eating on all Fridays during the year just so that fish frys might happen around the calendar. Technically Catholics are still supposed to go meatless on Fridays or offer some other penance in its place, but that's another question.

I have been pining for weeks for the fish fry at St. Francis of Assisi here in Detroit, and this afternoon I get to actually attend one. For the next seven Fridays ol' Marty will be in fish heaven. Thursdays will become interminable as the days before Fridays as I long for the next day's dinner.

Yeah, I'm kinda missing the point of Lent thinking this way. I'm a little too happy about a time meant for seeking forgiveness. Yet that time will come, and probably from gluttony as I lament eating too many fish filets this afternoon. And hey, pining counts as penance, doesn't it?

No comments: