Sunday, March 31, 2019

And so it begins

You know the Terminator scenario, right? It's where the robots and all the machinery of technology become sentient, self aware, and try to destroy mankind? Well, I think it's actually started, and it's begun with the traffic lights.

Three times this week I've been driving when I've noticed a light in the distance turn red. Each time I figured I was far enough away that all I had to do was take my foot off the gas and slow down, not enough to stop but to let me make the light without stopping. I expected the light to turn green before I arrived at it, when I could accelerate and move on.

Yet every time I would reach a point where I had to begin lightly applying the brake, as I was coming too close to the signal.

The light would stay red. Pretty soon I would be pressing down a little harder on the brake pedal.

I would begin decelerating more rapidly. The upcoming signal would stay red. It would stay red until exactly the moment when I would come to a full stop right at the signal. And exactly at full stop, the traffic light would turn green.

I'm telling you, the traffic signals have become sentient. And they're toying with us.

No comments: