Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Cloyce confusion

Sometimes as I get older, often as I get older if you read this blog too closely, I find myself making honest and kinda dumb mistakes. Mistakes like yesterday's.

A customer, I'll call him Cloyce just to give him a name, called and asked if his machine was ready. I told him sorry, but the news was pretty bad. He needed a motor, and was looking at $600 parts and labor.

There was stunned silence on the other end of the phone. Eventually Cloyce said, "But Marty, I brought it in for you to weld a broken handle." And he did. It was a different Cloyce who needed a motor replacement. When I saw Cloyce's name appear on my phone, I assumed it was that Cloyce.

I did laugh out loud as I apologized profusely for the confusion. Once I explained it Cloyce the first laughed too, although I could tell it was more a laugh of nervous relief. He was pleased, very pleased indeed after initially hearing he had to have a motor, with a $35 weld job.

When I hung up I added his last name to his number on my contact list. I then called the other Cloyce with his bad news. He didn't think it was funny, but took in stride and is having me install the new motor anyway.

No comments: