Monday, May 13, 2019

Asparagus blues

As I drove through farm country one day last week, I saw a sign which heralded, 'You-pick asparagus'. And I thought, people do that?

I know there's you pick apples, peaches, strawberries and such. But asparagus? Really?

It's simply unimaginable to me that a mom might say to the family one fine Saturday morning, "Let's hop in the minivan and go pick some asparagus!" It's even less imaginable that dad or the kids would agree. I mean, people actually do that?

Even further from my mind is the idea that a farmer would think that idea in any way touristy. Imagine a fella sitting in a small booth alongside his asparagus patch, broad smile on his face, eyes wide open in anticipation of the coming onslaught of asparagus you-pickers. It leaves me to wonder: is there a Linus wannabe who stays out the whole night in the asparagus patch awaiting the Great Asparagus stalk?

I mean, people do that? Self pick asparagus? Oh-kay, but nobody better ever bug me again about watching golf on TV.

No comments: