Thursday, May 30, 2019

It all happened on May 30

As I sometimes do when I'm otherwise drawing a blank, I will use this space to talk about today in history. It's a cheap writer's trick, but that's okay. I'm a cheap writer.

St. Joan of Arc was burned at the stake on May 30, 1431.

May 30, 1498 saw Columbus leave on his third journey to the New World. That's us by the way.

Explorer Hernando De Soto discovered Florida on this day in 1539. That's good news for retirees and real estate developers.

May 30, 1842 saw an assassination attempt on Queen Victoria. She was not amused.

Decoration Day, now Memorial Day, was started on May 30, 1868.

During a baseball doubleheader, Frank Chance (of Tinker to Evers to Chance fame) gets hit by a pitch five times, May 30, 1904. Ouch.

The first Indianapolis 500 was run on this day in 1911, with Ray Harroun winning at a speed of 74 MPH. We go faster than that during rush hour these days.

Babe Ruth goes hitless in his final game on May 30, 1935.

With that, I stopped culling through internet articles. It seems that far too much has happened on My 30 since then, and I think I've posted enough.

Until tomorrow, which will not be on May 31 in history. I don't think.

No comments: