Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Reflections on 60

Well, yours truly hit the big 6-0 today. I supposed technically not until 4:30 this afternoon as that was the exact time of my birth. Maybe I should enjoy a few more hours of 59 while I can. Now where did I put that Things to do before I'm 60 list?

I don't understand why, because I haven't felt this way since I was a kid. In fact, I haven't felt this way since I got a baseball uniform from my parents on a birthday long ago. I put Number 6 on it and felt like a big leaguer all day.  But the truth is I feel downright giddy this morning. I haven't felt this way for quite a while anticipating this day, honestly. But why? Dunno.

Maybe, hopefully, it's a portend of things to come. A good portend I might stress. Be that as it may, life is good and I feel good.

I suppose one ought to reflect on life at these milestones. Yet I do that every day. I can't think of a day where something from my past, good, bad, or indifferent, hasn't popped into my head. I think it's more important to rekindle the good yet not entirely bad to consider your regrets. It's not wise to beat yourself up over the bad, methinks. Still, it ought to be acknowledged even if only in your own mind as reminders of how you could have, should have, done better. A man with no regrets probably isn't examining his life well enough.

But the good should mean more. And I have had a lot of good in my life, all of which is - kindly don't crack the obvious joke - precious to me. I thank God all the time for it.

So, to the future! What will 60 bring? I don't know. But I feel good about it. And I rocked 59, so there's a good sign.









1 comment:

Paul said...

Marty,

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY and best wishes for the year ahead!

Paul