Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Church hymn funny

We hear all kinds of hymns in Church, some memorable, many forgettable, and perhaps even a few which simply don't fall off the tongue well at all. And some, not that I'm an expert in religious music, which are pretty easily interpreted by a lay person as to content and meaning. One such hymn which is easy to sing and has the proper message for a God-fearing institution is All Are Welcome. 

The basic refrain is All are welcome! All are welcome! All are welcome in this place. It's exactly the kind of music and singing one should expect in Church. And I dare say, and again I'm no sage on Church music, that it's pretty obviously a processional hymn, one to be used as people congregate, as they come into the Church. You would use it at the start of a liturgy, wouldn't you?

I know I would. Yet the organist (I'm sorry, music minister, and I suppose I do mean that just a bit snidely, for reasons I may get into at another time) at a Church we once attended played All Are Welcome as the recessional, that is, as we left Mass. He did this routinely. Maybe I'm missing something, but it never seemed appropriate.

Or, as my family took to singing it, perhaps a little quietly so as not to be too heretical, All are Welcome! All are Welcome! All are Welcome, leave this place! 

I think it's funny, in part because Snarky Marty thinks the change clever, as the adjusted lines feel more appropriate to leaving rather than arriving at Church. But if this qualifies me for extra time in purgatory, please help my cause and sing it at the beginning of my funeral. Thank you.

No comments: