Saturday, January 2, 2021

I'm only sleeping

Yesterday was January 1, 2021. It also was also the eighth straight time I did not stay up to greet the new Year. 

Why do I think this? Because it first happened when 2012 became 2013. I did that consciously in homage to America's teenager, Dick Clark. He had helped us greet the new year for, well, many new years, but had passed away in April 2012. So I made up my mind not to greet 2013 without him.

Since then I've thought,  I don't need to stay up simply to hear my fellow Detroiters strafing the sky with their errant bullets. What really is the point in that?

I look forward to the new year every new year. But I need my sleep (ok, I just want it), and waking up at three AM with the first thought, hey, it's a new year, ain't a bad way to greet it.


No comments: