Friday, January 8, 2021

Skintight January

It was twenty-eight degrees at 6:30 this morning when I left my house for my morning walk. But I like walking, I need the exercise, and the the paths are clear. So I walk.

This morning made four mornings in the last six where I've made my trek. If the extended weather forecast can be relied on, an admittedly dubious proposition seeing as it rarely is accurate, I should be able to enjoy a daily constitutional for most of the next ten or twelve days. But last week at this time for example it was supposed to crack 40 today. We're actually looking at a high of 31. But Miami will be underwater in the year 2100 due to among other things weather changes, and we know that for a fact.

Done pontificating. So although cold and dark the winter world is still with its wonder in the early morning. A pretty crescent moon poked through the clouds for me, and night in the city is always quieter than day, even comparing 6:30 in January to 6:30 in June. 

The secret to cold weather exercise I will say obviously enough is dressing for it. In June it's shorts and a tee shirt. In January it's a heavy coat on top of a hoodie. I have however found, well, it's not really classic thermal underwear as it's not cotton. It's some type of artificial material not unlike nylon, and it is warm. It makes the Marty walk more palatable. My only complaint is that it's skintight and thus kind of uncomfortable. 

I know, I know. The adjective skintight anywhere near the proper noun Marty makes me cringe too.

No comments: