Thursday, May 20, 2021

8

This is why we play the game. This is why we follow it. This is baseball.

Two nights ago Detroit Tigers pitcher Spencer Turnbull threw a no hitter against the Seattle Mariners. It was the eighth in team history.

For once in my life I'm glad my nervousness woke me early. I had a 700 mile road trip lined up for Wednesday morning. Although I was in bed asleep by 5:30 or so, I sprang awake a little after 11 thinking, stupidly afraid In fact, that I had missed my 1:30 alarm. Wide awake because of that, I turned on the game. Being on the west coast, it hadn't started until 10 PM local time. I wasn't going to leave before 2, so I had time to mark.

I'm glad I did. When Jeimer Candelario robbed a Mariner of a sure double leading off the the Seattle 7th, I knew Turnbull was going to get the no-no.

An hour later on a swinging third strike, he had it.

I love baseball. I love the Detroit Tigers.


No comments: