Monday, January 17, 2022

Clear Orders from Headquarters

I took me Mom out shopping yesterday, and when we were finished and back in the new old van she blurted, "Are we gonna eat?"

"Sure," I answered. "We're about 45 minutes from home. We can make sandwiches when we get there," I continued, joshing her.

Immediately, I knew I had crossed a line. Stepped on toes. Creased the envelope. Went a bridge too far. She was giving me the Mom stare.

I returned the glare, melting all the while just the same, because you better not turn away either. Being a Mom, she had to let it burn into me for a few seconds. Finally she said with certainty, "We will go to McDonald's, or maybe Burger King, and get cheeseburgers."

"Yes ma'am. Absolutely, ma'am. Right away, ma'am. We'll go to McDonald's..."

"Or Burger King."

"Yes, ma'am, or Burger King, ma'am. For cheeseburgers, ma'am."

She nodded regally. 

I think she was only teasing. But I was glad we quickly came upon a BK.

No comments: