Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Doesn't Seem Possible

Me son Charlie has been visiting the last few days. Me son Frank spent a few days here back in April. Good times.

What's weird, at least to my tired old brain, is that they each worked while they were here. At their regular, paying jobs. Charlie set up shop at the dining room table, while Frank had arranged himself a work space in his old bedroom. I actually took a picture of that and labelled it, Frank's Office.

Telecommuting is until yet a concept I have trouble wrapping my head around. Working from anywhere with this device called a personal computer? I fully realize it's work but it doesn't seem like it. It would be interesting to know what me Pops or me Grandpa Joe would think. On a certain level it doesn't seem possible.

To be sure, work from home has always existed. Writers, indeed many self employed, have done it for years. Hell, doctors and dentists once did. Yet watching my sons work from home hundreds of miles away from their actual job setting? It's different. But for all sorts of selfish reasons, I'm glad they can.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Are you telling us that you don't haul some drain cleaning machines and cables up to Hessel with you, to refurbish and / or sell during your vacations? ;)

Charles Martin Cosgriff said...

I would never use a vacation home or vacation as a write off. That would be wrong!