Thursday, May 2, 2024

People is People

I like people. I really do. I firmly believe that I'm a people person. But man, sometimes I don't understand people.

At the old barn, I routinely fix things which nearly any one of you could fix yourself. I'm talking about stuff so easy that a kindergartener could figure it out. So you see how I got the job.

But anyway, a common chore is replacing the wrong bolts with the right ones. I won't go into a lot of depth here, but a guy will replace, say, a steel 3/8 bolt with a standard 16 threads per inch, something you can get at any hardware, with a wood screw. Wood screws have many more threads per inch and, more importantly, are not meant to hold metal parts together. They're made for holding pieces of wood together. Hence, ahem, the term wood screws. Yet this very morning I replaced a wood screw with the proper steel bolt.

Why would anyone ever consider that changing steel bolts for wood screws might be a good idea? Yet I probably make a couple hundred bucks a year just replacing wrong screws and bolts with the right ones.

I like people. But at the end of the day, they're people, right?

No comments: