Friday, June 15, 2018

A moment in time

Five years ago my Dad walked out of the Old Barn, and I knew he wasn't coming back. One minute he was in the doorway latching the gate behind him, his body literally framed by the sunlight. The next moment there was only sunshine. And he wasn't coming back.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this right now but I feel like I have to write it and try to find...something. While I do feel sad at the memory I don't feel particularly melancholy nor do I mean to make anyone else feel bad. Perhaps I am only looking for an explanation, a reason. I do wonder if anyone else has ever had such a feeling.

What struck me the most both then and now was the depth of certainty which I felt that day. It's as though in that very instant I felt, physically felt really as much as mentally, that that was it. At the risk of hyperbole, I felt an era pass. Dad leaving the Shop that second meant that much.

One instant, framed by the sun. The next instant, gone. Just like that. How quickly things go...

No comments: