Monday, June 18, 2018

Another phrase to hate

Remember how I've talked about phrases I don't like? Well, another one has occurred to me, and I'm as guilty as the next person for using it.

While talking to a friend yesterday, a friend leaving next month for a nice vacation, I said in parting, "Well, have a nice trip if I don't see you before then!" He answered thanks. But what he should have answered was, "Can I have a nice trip if I do see you before then?"

In thinking about it, it's almost like when holidays are approaching. Countless times in the last 40 or so years during the Christmas season I would hear, "If I don't see you again before then Marty, have a Merry Christmas!" Um, uh, can, can I have a Merry Christmas if I do see you?

Think about it; it's almost a threat, isn't it? Have a Merry Christmas, unless I see you. A warning, perhaps? No Merry Christmas if I'm around, Marty.

Just another phrase to toss on the I hate that phrase pile.

No comments: