Saturday, June 9, 2018

Six figures

As I was talking about being on the road yesterday I will continue that theme today. Thursday brought about an interesting and fairly rare sight, one that tickles me anyway.
Tooling north along Interstate 69 from Muncie to Gas City, Indiana (I-69 is concurrent with US Route 35 in that stretch, two roads for the price of one) I happened to notice that the six figures on my odometer were the same. My van was at 222,222 miles.
We make a big deal about the big, round numbers: anniversaries and birthdays exactly on the decade, 100,000 miles, 200,000, and the vaunted quarter-million miles on our vehicles. But six straight numbers are pretty rare too. Well, I suppose every milestone is effectively as rare, or rarer. 178,563 miles only happen once if at all with a car; we don't get a second thirty-seventh birthday. But hey, six straight numbers!
It's worth a mention.

No comments: