Sunday, June 3, 2018

Visiting Cy

Denton True 'Cy' Young was perhaps the greatest pitcher in baseball history. His nickname was shortened from cyclone, and he earned it from the damage his fastball would do to the walls of baseball stadiums. They looked like a cyclone had hit them when a throw of his had in fact.

His 511 career victories put him almost 100 in front of the next player on the list, Walter Johnson. Yes, he also has the most career losses at 316. But when he played, pitchers pitched. None of the four days off and other pampering modern hurlers get as birthrights.

My eldest son and I visited Young's grave yesterday. It's just after a wide spot in the road called Peoli, in the rolling hills of eastern Ohio. Peoli Cemetery is a fine, sublime place for his earthly remains. Located on a hill on a bend of Ohio route 258, the cemetery overlooks pasture and farmland. I could see resting there until the trumpet calls. I have to imagine Young likes it.

There were three baseballs on the ground against the grave marker, and a small pile of pennies, maybe ten or twelve cents, on the footing. Charlie looked up why they might be there: as a sign of respect from a visitor who had stopped by. I took a penny from my pocket and added it to the collection.

We said a couple prayers and I actually choked up a little. We spend a lot of time living and not enough remembering. I'm glad my son was willing to indulge me in the trip to Peoli. And it was good to see that a baseball immortal was not forgotten.

No comments: