Friday, March 27, 2020

Against the fall of Pringles

Funny how some things stick in your mind, isn't it?

I remember me Pops bringing home Pringles when they first came out (yes, the potato chip) and loving them from the get go. I was perhaps 11 or 12, pre-teen, and we had root beer on hand that day as well. I poured a cup of the soda and grabbed a handful of chips. I remember thinking, I still think, that Pringles and root beer are a great combination.

But what goes along with that memory, or discovery as you may like, was that I also remember the book which I read along with that snack: Against the Fall of Night, by the sci-fi writer Arthur C. Clarke. It took me a few days to finish that book, and every time I read I made it a point to have a snack of Pringles and root beer along with it.

I need to find that book, and reread it while drinking a bottle of root beer and noshing on Pringles. Maybe it will help me recall why the memory lives so fully in my mind.

Or maybe it simply sticks in my head for no real reason. Yet I can't help wonder why it would. I know this: I don't want to look up the book on Wikipedia or anywhere. I want to see if I can recreate the original feel of the experience. Please forward me no spoilers.




No comments: