Sunday, March 15, 2020

How I spent the weekend (so far)

This weekend has been weird. Perhaps it has been for many of us I suppose. I think maybe what's felt oddest is that my weekend has been actually rather normal. It's the other stuff, the coronavirus crap, which makes it feel unusual.

Myself, I have done little differently. I spent close to six hours at my Shop playing catch up yesterday. I washed a load of towels because it seemed there were an overabundance of towels in the laundry basket. I took my morning walk and will take another by 8 or 9 this morning. I ate Chinese.

Whatever the reason for the general panic it didn't hit downtown Detroit. Our local supermarket, indeed all nearby stores, stayed stocked and operating. They even had plenty of toilet paper. Oh, Lysol and hand sanitizer and the like were gone. But nothing else was different at all.

It was very strange not to go to Church. I take my mother to Saturday Mass and of course that didn't happen. Detroit and many Catholic dioceses have closed the Churches to large (or, sadly, large-ish) gatherings such as Church services. I'll watch Mass on TV sometime this morning (I've already checked my options and I have several) yet I know that just won't seem right. I'm not a shut in. At least, not by choice, though I suppose most shut-ins rarely are.

I read, but I've been doing a lot of that anyway the last several years. I watched a quite charming movie yesterday, Yesterday, on On Demand. It was about a man who, after a bizarre event, was the only one to remember The Beatles and their songs. It was one of those movies 'they don't make anymore', charming and engaging and, at the risk of sounding puritan, clean. After watching and liking Gran Torino a few weeks back I am beginning to rethink my attitude on recent cinema.

Though I don't watch sports all that much it was very weird to find no live sports on TV. Very weird. I watched a bit of bowling but it had been taped.

I'm going to stop here because I don't really want to get preachy. I only want to reflect on things. And I've just ended up simply shaking my head.






No comments: